6 effective points to consider choosing a reliable transport company in India
Transporters form a large part of supply chain process for the businesses to sustain their customer reach at all times. Be it a MSME or a large industry, transportation services form an important part of any business. The goods are manufactured and are ready to be shipped. But how? There are different modes of transportation – road, rail, air and sea. Whichever mode of transportation you may choose, it is the road that is applied everywhere for the first mile and the last mile, even though you may not choose road for shipping from destination A to B. Exactly the reason you need to ensure you have the required knowledge to choose from the various road transporters for your specific needs.
A consumer might find it easy to purchase goods by the click of a button or just by swiping their cards. But in reality, the process that these goods go through to be placed at the retail stores is complex. The supply chain is a complex process for both manufactured products and raw material. We will identify a few points to help you choose the right transporters for shipping your goods:
- Ascertain your products: The goods that need to be shipped is the first step in choosing the right logistics partner. Your products can be perishable, non-perishable or hazardous. You can determine the right transporter according to the category of your goods. The logistics pattern is further divided as:
- Internal logistics: The movement of goods within your own entity, for example, from factory to the warehouse
- Inbound logistics: Transport of raw materials to your manufacturing facility
- Outbound logistics: Shipment of finished goods from your manufacturing facility to the market
- Quantity and weight of shipment: The total volume of shipment is an important criterion for selecting the right transporter. You find transporters specializing in different type of loads – Full truck Loads | Part loads | All loads. While a part loader will optimize your shipment considering your total volume, the same facility is not provided by the FTL service providers. Consider this example – a product with large volume and low weight will require bigger vehicle, like a 32 feet single axel truck that can carry 7 tons load. Whereas, products with low volume and heavy weight will require similar sized vehicle with double axel that can carry 16 tons load.
- Transporter’s reputation: Once you have ascertained your goods for shipment, now is the time to check the transporter’s reputation with a good track record. You tend to get influenced by what transporters’ say about themselves rather than taking a pause to do a thorough research about the company to learn about their reviews. You can either go online or ask for references from their past and current customers. Another way to investigate is to compare their quotes against their competitors to know if they are being fair to offer you the correct rates. This will certainly help you get a better idea of what kind of services you can expect from them before taking the final decision to hire the transporter.
- Security of goods: The method of handling and security of transporting goods must be factored in to establish the hiring of the right transporter. While insurance of your goods in transit is an important component to consider against an unfortunate accident, the goods are supposed to be transported with maximum safety and minimum loss and damage during transit.
- Experience of working with large entities: The transporter must have the right kind of experience working with large entities – it can be large industries, big traders or retailers. They should display their capabilities of working with vendors of types. Large companies have tech enabled processes where a transporter is required to work in the similar environment by integrating their servers to their clients’ to understand the flow of processes.
- Delivery schedules: While all transport companies claim on-time deliveries, the reality is far from their commitment. They may be right when the deliveries must be done in less than 300 kilometers. It is the long distance deliveries that come under scrutiny on their timelines and commitment. The transporters must have systems and processes in place to provide visibility from first mile to the last mile and flexibility to provide all types to trucks for your shipment.
Strong working relationships in business transactions is more important than run-off-the-mill relationship. It is your decision to choose what type of relationship you need to maintain with your logistics services partners. Carefully analyze the facts and figures of the transporter before forging a long-term relationship and choose a transporter that has set SOPs in place.
Trukor is a cohesive supply-chain platform that optimizes your transportation needs. Whether you are shipping part-loads or full truck loads, Trukor returns your query with the most appropriate type of transport having a huge fleet of trucks, fleet owners and transporters on its platform. Register with us today to discover significant cost savings and improved efficiency in your supply chain.
Article Source - https://www.trukor.com/blog/6-effective-points-to-consider-choosing-a-reliable-transport-company-in-india/